Last Updated: January 1, 2023
Service Corporation International and its affiliates and subsidiaries (including regional entities operating under the Dignity Memorial®, Rose Hills®, Neptune Society®, Neptune Cremation Society®, Neptune Cremation Service®, The Neptune Society of Northern California™, National Cremation Society®, National Cremation Service®, Cremation Society of Virginia™, Cremation Society of Pennsylvania™, Trident Society®, All Faiths Cremation Society™, Advantage®, Family Funeral Care®, Funeraria Buxeda®, Funeraria del Angel®, Making Everlasting Memories®, Neptune Memorial Reef®, DignitéMD, First Memorial Funeral Services® and other brands) (“SCI,” “we,” “us”) respect the privacy of our clients’ families and website visitors. We value our relationships with existing and prospective clients (“you”), and recognize that an essential element of those relationships is the trust and confidence you place in us to serve you and your family during your time of need.
California Notice: California residents can learn more about our information practices by visiting our California Privacy Notice here https://www.sci-corp.com/california-privacy-notice.
Personal Information. “Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or describes, directly or indirectly, a particular individual, such as: name, address, email address, or phone number.
Information You Provide. We may collect and store the following Personal Information when you submit it: (1) through our Sites; (2) in person at one of our funeral homes or cemetery locations; (3) at an informational pre-planning seminar we conduct; (4) by phone; or (5) by mail. We may use this information for typical business purposes (including auditing our interactions with our clients or Site visitors, for internal reporting purposes, or security and anti-fraud purposes) and as described more specifically below:
- Personal Identifiers. We receive personal identifiers that you provide to us (such as your name, address, phone number, email address, billing address, shipping address, date of birth, insurance policy number, signature, and social security number in certain instances) and use them to respond to your requests; to create new member accounts at your request; to fulfill your orders for merchandise and services; to communicate with you for marketing and informational purposes (you may opt out of receiving marketing emails from us at any time by using the unsubscribe link located in the email); to provide you with the products and services you request from us pursuant to the terms of an advance (pre-need) or time-of-death (at-need) funeral or cemetery contract; and to provide you with information about our products and services that you request from us. We will also create a client number when you make a purchase so that we can identify you. If you are the next of kin of record of an at-need or pre-need contract beneficiary, we may collect your information so that we can contact you in order to obtain your authorization (pursuant to state law or company policy) to provide services with regard to your family member or relation and for other point of contact purposes.
- Message Content. We collect the messages you submit to us through contact, sign-up, and purchase forms on the Sites, such as customer service requests, messages you would like us to provide to delivery recipients, and delivery instructions. We use this information to respond to and fulfill your requests, and to improve our Sites and our service and merchandise offerings.
- Audio and Visual Information. We receive any digital photographs and audio files you submit through the Sites. We post this information to public areas of the Sites at your direction. Additionally, at those locations where we employ surveillance cameras in public areas for security purposes, we may collect images of you for security and access control purposes.
- Financial Information. We receive financial information (such as payment card and bank account information) to process payments for merchandise and services you purchase on the Sites. We do not store your payment card information. We may also collect your credit-related information such as credit scores, life insurance policy information, or other financial information when we assist with financing your pre-need or at-need contract or when you apply for insurance or other financing. We may collect your financial information from any contract with us that you sign, from processing or administering your financial transactions, and occasionally, from credit reporting or collection agencies.
- Commercial Transaction Information. We collect and generate commercial transaction information (such as records of merchandise and services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies) when you make purchases on the Sites. We use this information to fulfill your orders, to improve our service and merchandise offerings, to tailor our marketing efforts, and for internal reporting purposes. We may also use this information internally to create records of your consuming history for audit purposes and in order to fulfill the terms of pre-need and at-need funeral and cemetery contracts you enter into with us, and as required pursuant to state funeral and cemetery laws regarding cemetery property and products purchased, and insurance and trust-funding laws.
- Geo-Location Information. Some of the information we collect, such as Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses, may be used to estimate an approximate location of the device you are using to access our Sites in order to enhance and personalize the features and functionality of our Sites, including our mobile applications, and service offerings.
- De-identified or Aggregated Information. We may de-identify or aggregate data and may use and disclose it for any business purpose.
- Inferences Drawn from Personal Information. We may use the information you provide to create a profile about your preferences to offer you products and services in which we think you might be interested.
- Medical Information. In connection with insurance applications, we may collect pertinent health condition and medical history of the insured individual to help facilitate a purchase and use of insurance coverage. We may forward the information we collect to the third-party insurance company along with information concerning the related arrangements that you have made with us, so that the insurance company can provide insurance coverage to you.
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications under State or Federal Law. To the extent permissible under applicable law, we may collect your age, gender, ethnicity, religion, and veteran status for the purposes of providing you products and determining your service preferences and in order to market products and services we think would be of interest to you.
Information We Collect From Business Partners. We may receive some of the personal identifiers, message content, and commercial transaction information listed above from third-party business partners (such as floral, memorial, or insurance providers) related to your transactions with them that involve us providing you with merchandise or services. The Sites may also permit you to log-in and connect to the Sites with your social media account (such as Facebook), and we collect profile information about you from that social media website that you have made publicly available. We use this profile information for the same purposes as when we receive the information directly from you, as described above.
- Cookies: A “cookie” is a small data file that we transfer to your browser or mobile device. Most browsers provide controls allowing you to block receipt of cookies, to delete cookies, or to be prompted before cookies are received. Please note that, if you delete or choose not to receive cookies from our Sites, the functionality of the Sites may be impaired. To find out more about cookies, including how to manage or delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
- We use third-party advertising services to serve advertisements on our behalf when you visit some of our Sites and other websites, third-party email services to send informational and marketing email to you, and third-party analytics services to help us understand and improve the usage of our Sites and the effectiveness of our marketing efforts. In some situations, we permit the companies providing these services to set and access cookies (and use similar data tools, such as “pixel tags” or “web beacons”) through our Sites and our emails, and these companies may collect, for example, your personal identifiers (such as IP address, device and browser identifiers and characteristics, and anonymous identifiers) and information about your device (such as operating system and language preferences) and your usage activity on the Sites (such as your interaction with our Sites, the link you used to reach them, and the content and advertising displayed on them and our content and advertising on other websites and online services) and use this information to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you on our Sites and other non-affiliated websites and/or to provide analytical information for our Sites. Third-party companies also may collect and combine information about your online activities over time, on other devices, and on other websites or online services, if those websites and online services also use the same companies. Information about cookies and similar technology placed by third-party companies on our Sites and their related data practices is set forth below.
Analytics and Advertising Technologies
You may choose not to receive some interest-based advertising by submitting opt-outs. Some of the advertisers and business partners that perform advertising-related services for us may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (“DAA”) Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising and/or the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). To learn more about how you can exercise certain choices regarding interest-based advertising, including use of cross-device data for serving ads, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. To learn more about the NAI and your opt-out options for their members, see http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. Please remember that when you opt out of personalized advertising, you may continue to see online advertising on the Sites and/or our ads on other websites and online services.
We also use advertising services provided by Google Ad Services. To learn more about the data Google collects for advertising and to opt out of certain ad targeting by Google, please visit here.
Online Tracking / Do-Not-Track Signals
Your web browser may have settings that allow you to transmit a “Do Not Track” signal when you visit various websites or use online services. Like many websites and online services, our services are not designed to respond to “Do Not Track” signals received from browsers. For more information about Do-Not-Track, please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Retention of Personal Information
Protecting Personal Information
We employ reasonable security measures to secure and protect the information we receive. Please remember, though, that no method of electronic transmission or storage is 100% secure.
We may provide business partners, affiliates, and third parties with the Personal Information we collect (as described above) for our business purposes to assist us in providing products and services to you, including to process transactions, deliver products at your request, or to help us market products and services to you. We also disclose Personal Information as described below:
To Provide, Protect, and Improve Our Sites, Merchandise, and Services. We disclose Personal Information as necessary to operate our business, such as to third-party service providers and affiliates in connection with providing services to you or processing your transactions. For example, we may provide your name, telephone, and address information, and a redacted credit card number to vendors, such as a local or online florist and cremation or memorial providers, to complete a transaction you have requested or otherwise at your direction. We require that those providers use Personal Information only for that purpose, and we also require assurances that they will appropriately protect Personal Information entrusted to them. We also may access, preserve, and disclose information if we believe that such action is necessary in our judgment to protect and defend our rights or property, or those of others. For example, we may provide information, including IP address information, to our service providers to protect the Sites, such as for fraud detection purposes.
To Comply with the Law and Legal Process. We may access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information if required to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary in our judgment to comply with a legal obligation.
Social Features on Our Sites
Information You May Share with Social Networking Websites. The Sites may provide options allowing you to share information with social networking websites, such as Facebook. Their use of the information you share will be governed by their privacy policies, and we are not responsible for how they treat the information.
No Use by Children Under the Age of 18
The Sites are not intended for use by children under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you may not use our Sites. If a parent or legal guardian posts an entry on behalf of a child under the age of 18 on an online guestbook or other section of the Sites, the parent or legal guardian must indicate that such entry is being made on behalf of the child by the parent or legal guardian. Caution and good judgment should be used in connection with any information provided concerning the child. We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from children under 18 years of age. If we believe that any information has been posted by a child under the age of 18, we will promptly delete that information. Parents may contact us using the methods set forth below to request that information concerning their child be removed from our Sites.
Certain jurisdictions impose specific legal requirements and grant privacy rights with respect to Personal Information, and we will comply with restrictions and any requests you submit as required by applicable law. Please see our California Privacy Notice https://www.sci-corp/california-privacy-notice for more information. You may be able to use the Sites to access and update the information that you have provided to us through your use of the Sites or otherwise.
California Privacy Rights
California residents can learn more about their privacy rights here https://www.sci-corp/california-privacy-notice.
Nevada Privacy Notice
Nevada law allows residents to opt out of the sale of certain Personal Information, called “covered information.” We do not sell covered information as defined under Nevada law and we have no plans to change that practice. If you want to be notified if we do change that practice, you may submit your request by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Virginia Privacy Rights
This section applies to Virginia Consumers as defined by the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (“VCDPA”) that use our services. Capitalized terms defined in the VCDPA that are used in this section shall have the same meaning as in the VCDPA.
This section describes our collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Data. You can learn more about the Personal Data we Process and the purpose for processing such Personal Data in the Information We Collect and How We Collect It section above. You can also learn more about our disclosure of Personal Data and the categories of Third Parties we disclose Personal Data to in the How We Share Personal Information section above.
We also Process your Personal Data for Targeted Advertising. You have the right to opt-out of the Processing of your Personal Data for Targeted Advertising, as described below.
If you are a Virginia Consumer, subject to certain conditions and restrictions set out in the VCDPA and other applicable laws, you have the following rights with regard to your Personal Data:
- Right to Access. You have the right know the Personal Data that we may hold about you and access such Personal Data.
- Right to Correct. You have the right to request that we correct inaccuracies in your Personal Data.
- Right to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete Personal Data that we have Collected from or obtained about you.
- Right to Opt-Out of Sales. You have the right to opt-out of the Sale of Personal Data. We do not Sell your Personal Data as defined under the VCDPA.
- Right to Opt-Out of Targeted Advertising. You may request that we stop disclosures of your Personal Data for Targeted Advertising by clicking on the “Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information” link in the footer of our Sites where we engage in such practices and manage your cookie preferences.
- Right to Opt-Out of Profiling. You have the right to opt-out profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects. Our profiling does not result in decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects and as such do not offer this right.
- Right to Appeal. If you are unsatisfied with our actions related to the exercise of one of your privacy rights above, you may appeal our decision.
Virginia Consumers may submit their VCDPA requests here https://www.sci-corp.com/vcdpa-consumer-rights-request-form. Please note that, depending on the nature of your request, you may be asked to provide information to verify your identity before your request can be Processed.
You may exercise your privacy rights under the VCDPA no more than twice in a 12-month period. If you choose to exercise any of the privacy rights described above, you will not receive discriminatory treatment from us.
How To Contact Us With Questions
Your questions, comments and feedback are very important to us. For privacy-related questions, contact us via email at: email@example.com, or write to us at:
Service Corporation International
Data Privacy Office, 10th Floor
1929 Allen Parkway
Houston, Texas 77019