California Privacy Notice
Effective Date: November 18, 2022
In accordance with the CCPA’s requirements, this Notice covers the 12 months preceding the Effective Date above and describes our collection, use, and disclosure of California Consumers’ “Personal Information,” as well as rights California Consumers have under the CCPA. Terms defined in the CCPA that are used in this Notice have the same meanings as in the CCPA.
Consistent with the CCPA, the information in this Notice and the rights described do not apply to job applicants, current and former employees/contractors, or to people whose Personal Information we collected in the context of their employment at another business (“business-to-business contact(s)”). If you are an employee, job applicant, or business-to-business contact and you have questions about how we use your Personal Information, please contact us as provided below.
Personal Information We Collect And Why We Collect It
“Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or describes, directly or indirectly, a particular individual. Personal Information does not include information that is publicly available, de-identified, or aggregated.
We collect Personal Information about California Consumers as described below. Note that the specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you may vary depending on the nature of your interactions with us and may not include all of the examples listed below.
Category of Personal Information
- Identifiers: To respond to your requests; to create new member accounts at your request; to communicate with you for marketing and informational purposes; to provide you with the products and services you request from us pursuant to the terms of an advance (pre-need) or time-of-death (at-need) funeral or cemetery contract; and to provide you with information about our products and services that you request from us.
Examples: Name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth, IP address, mobile device identifiers, and social security number in certain instances.
- Protected Characteristics:To provide you with certain products (including death certificates); to determine your product and service preferences; and in order to market products and services we think would be of interest to you. Examples: Age, gender, ethnicity, religion, and veteran status.
- Commercial Information / Purchase Details: To fulfill orders; to improve our service and merchandise offerings; to tailor our marketing efforts; to create records of consuming history for audit purposes; in order to fulfill the terms of pre-need and at-need funeral and cemetery contracts; and for internal reporting purposes. Examples: Products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Internet Usage Information: To securely deliver, troubleshoot, and improve services; to detect fraud; to provide relevant marketing; and for any other internal business purposes. Examples: Browser type, browsing history, and information regarding interactions with our Sites.
- Geolocation Data: To estimate an approximate location of the device you are using to access our Sites in order to enhance and personalize the features and functionality of our Sites, including our mobile applications, and service offerings. Examples: Your physical location based on information you provide directly or inferred from your IP address.
- Sensory Data:We may post this information to public areas of our Sites or to third-party sites at your direction. For example, we may live stream a funeral service on third-party sites at your direction. Examples: Audio and video files and surveillance footage.
- Inferences from other Personal Information:To provide you with appropriate products and recommendations for marketing and advertising, and for any other internal business purposes. Examples: Your preferences based on other Personal Information collected about you.
We may also collect Personal Information about you that does not directly fit within one of the categories defined by the CCPA. For example, we collect the contents of messages you submit to us through contact, sign-up, and purchase forms on the Sites. We use the information included in your communications to communicate with you about our products and services, your orders, updates to our terms and policies, and to obtain your feedback; to provide customer service and support; to improve our Sites, and to detect and prevent fraud against you and/or us.
Subject to the CCPA’s restrictions and obligations, our business partners and Service Providers may also use your Personal Information for some or all of the above-listed business purposes.
We may share your Personal Information with our business partners or Service Providers (including those that facilitate interest-based advertising and other advertising and marketing), and other parties as described above.
Sources of Personal Information
Disclosures of Personal Information
We share the following categories of Personal Information with our Service Providers and affiliates for a business purpose:
- Customer Records
- Protected Characteristics
- Commercial Information/Purchase Details
- Internet Usage Information
- Geolocation Data
- Sensory Data
California Privacy Rights
California residents have the right to submit certain requests relating to their Personal Information as described below. Please note that when submitting a request, you may be asked to provide information to verify your identity before action is taken. California law permits California Consumers to use an authorized agent to make Consumer rights requests on their behalf. If you are an authorized agent of a California resident and are making a request on his or her behalf, you will be asked to provide a copy of the California resident’s written authorization (for example a power of attorney) showing that you have been granted the authority to submit a Consumer rights request on behalf of the California resident. To the extent that the written authorization provided to us is insufficient, we will contact you for further verification. We may additionally contact the California resident in order to verify his or her identity, and to confirm your authority to make a Consumer rights request on his or her behalf, prior to responding directly to you. We will respond to your request within the time period required by applicable law. However, we may not always be able to fully comply with your request, and we will notify you in that event.
To make a Consumer rights request, California Consumers may either: i) call us toll free at 1-866-805-9617 or ii) submit a request online by . Consumers will be required to submit their name, contact email address, contact phone number, full permanent address, contract number (if known), a purchase amount and description of a recent purchase (if known) and/or a purchase date, and provide a brief description of their relationship to us (e.g. pre-need or at-need contract purchaser; pre-need contract beneficiary; next of kin/family member; website visitor; other; authorized agent of any of the foregoing) so that we can verify the request.
A. THE RIGHT TO KNOW
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request more information regarding the following, to the extent applicable:
- The categories of Personal Information we have collected about you
- The categories of sources from which the Personal Information was collected
- Our business or commercial purposes for collecting (or selling—if applicable) your Personal Information
- The categories of third parties with which we shared your Personal Information
- The categories of Personal Information about you that we sold in the preceding 12 months, and for each category identified, the categories of third parties to which we sold that particular category of Personal Information
- The categories of Personal Information that we disclosed for a business purpose in the preceding 12 months, and for each category identified, the categories of third parties to which we disclosed that particular category of Personal Information
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you
You may submit a request for this information as described above. In connection with submission of your request, we will need to take steps to verify your identity before action is taken. Requests may be made no more than twice in a 12-month period.
B. DO NOT SELL RIGHTS
C. THE RIGHT TO DELETE
You may request that we delete your Personal Information that we have collected directly from you and are maintaining. Following receipt of a request to delete, we will let you know what Personal Information we can delete from our records, and we will direct any of our Service Providers that may have processed your Personal Information on our behalf to delete your Personal Information from their records. There may be circumstances where we cannot delete your Personal Information or direct Service Providers to delete your Personal Information from their records. For example, if we need to: (1) retain your Personal Information to complete a transaction or provide services to you; (2) detect security incidents; (3) protect against unlawful activities; (4) identify, debug, or repair errors; or (5) comply with a legal obligation. You may submit a request to delete as described above. In connection with submission of your request, we will need to take steps to verify your identity before action is taken. Requests may be made no more than twice in a 12-month period.
D. THE RIGHT TO NON-DISCRIMINATION
You have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your CCPA privacy rights. We do not use the fact that you have exercised or requested to exercise any CCPA rights for any purpose other than facilitating a response to your request.
California Shine the Light
California law permits customers in California to request certain details about how their personal information is shared with third parties if personal information is shared for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes. We do not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. Californians may request information about our compliance with this law by contacting us at email@example.com or by sending a letter to: Data Privacy Office, 10th Floor 1929 Allen Parkway Houston, Texas 77019. Attn: Legal Department – Privacy/Shine the Light.
Any such request must include your name and “California Shine the Light Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the description and, if sent by mail, must include your street address, city, state, and zip code. Please note that we are only required to respond to one request per customer each year, and we are not required to respond to requests made by means other than through those provided under this section. Because these rights and your CCPA rights are not the same and exist under different laws, you must exercise your rights under each law separately.
How To Contact Us
For more information on your California privacy rights, or for privacy-related questions, contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at:
Service Corporation International
Data Privacy Office, 10th Floor
1929 Allen Parkway
Houston, Texas 77019